How many water bottles does one need?

I grew up in Chicago. One of those kids that played outside all day, came in when the street lights came on and drank water from the hose. There were no water bottles when we went to the store, went to the park and not at school. There were water fountains. Was that a good thing? Who knows. Now I'm almost never without a water bottle. I started out with nalgenes. I have lots of them, some with stickers all over them, most all scratched up, wide mouth small mouth, 1 litre, 32 once and on and on. Stuck with those for years. Now, it's a Yeti. She goes everywhere with me. I still love my nalgenes for any hiking or kayaking. What I don't own is a Stanley. I think I'm the only one. 

When I think of Stanley, I think of my dad taking his thermos and lunch box to work. I think they are cool looking but I can't see the extreme appeal. I'd say 90% of the people I work with have them. They have multiples, one to match each color of their scrubs. Marketing is extraordinary. I have seen the news stories showing people camping out in front of Target to get a special edition. It's a water bottle. 

I start to wonder when the profits for Stanley are going to slow. Judging from how many I see around, not anytime soon. According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, the new marketing is gearing towards men. They claim men are very influenced by social media influencers and they is who they are targeting. I have to say I can believe that judging by how much overlanding and Tacoma gear my husband buys off Instagram. 

There are many substitutions for Sanley cups out there that make it affordable and accessible for all incomes. I think it's a trend and accessory that is going to last a long time. But hey, if it gets people to drink more water, I'm all for it. 







https://www.wsj.com/articles/stanley-looks-to-replicate-the-water-bottle-hype-among-guys-9b1e8b59?mod=Searchresults_pos2&page=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media's gift to Stanley

If bleeding out is the end goal, the insurance company wins